|Hair coloring is very popular in recent times amongst young girls. Hair color works by chemical reactions between the molecules in the hair and the dye, as well as peroxide and ammonia. The color of your hair depends on the portions of the hair proteins euMelanin and phaeoMelanin. The protein euMelanin gives brown or black color and phaeoMelanin gives golden or red color to the hair. In the absence of these proteins, the hair appears gray. |
What are the basic types of hair colors?
- Natural hair colors: Women have been using hair color since ancient times using plants and minerals. Some of the natural hair dyes include henna, black walnut shell and these generally coat the hair with color. However, these natural dyes also can lead to certain allergies and it is difficult to get consistent results every time you use these natural colors.
- Temporary hair color: Temporary hair color form an acidic dye layer outside the hair shaft or slips inside the hair shaft using small amount of peroxide or none. Shampooing hair will remove the temporary color and the hair’s natural color is retained.
- Permanent hair color: Permanent colors dye the hair in two steps: first step involves the removal of natural hair color by opening the cuticle of the hair and the second step involves the deposition of the permanent color. Different types of conditioners are present in the dye that close the cuticle after the process of color deposition and it also protects the new color.
| Talk to your hair stylist |
Once you make up yourmind to go for hair color, educate yourself by talking to your friendswho have colored hair prior and read more about color types and trends.When you go to salon have a clear idea what exactly you and carry somepictures or swatches if you have. Talk to your colorist and do notleave entire decisions up to colorist. But it is also good to consideryour colorist advice, because an experienced colorist knows what suitsyou the best
|Tips for at-home hair coloring|
|Always go for two shades lighter or darker.|
|Do not go by the picture on the hair color box.|
|It is always safe to test a few strands before you completely color hair. |
|Apply vaseline around hairline before your begin to color.|
|It is advisable to wash hair a day before the day of coloring.|
|Do not wash hair at least 24 h after you color.|
|To protect your hair always deep condition dry hair a week before your color hair.|
|After you color your hair, always use deep condition every week and use color enhancing shampoos. |
|Getting the right color |
Picking up the right color for hair is the most important and while doing it consider your skin tone and whether you are doing it yourself or by a hair specialist.
Here are few tips:
- Women with fairer complexion should avoid choosing super dark shades. It would be advisable to go for few shades darker than your natural hair color initially.
- If you are coloring hair on your own select couple of shades lighter than your current shade.
- Women with short hair look better with complete hair coloring rather than highlights. Highlights suit well women with medium or long hair.
- If you are coloring your hair for the first time, you might start with a semipermanent colors, unless you want to cover your gray hair.
- Before applying color apply vaseline around your hairline. Always wear hand gloves and put on an apron.
- Rinse your eyes immediately if the color gets into your eyes.
- If the color has stained your skin while applying, you can clean it with alcohol-based toner.
- Do not be hesitant to visit your colorist in case you do not like the color. There are ways to fix the problem. Hair color is not easily removed. The only way to remove hair color is with a color removal product.
- Once you color your hair follow all the instructions given by your colorist. Use color enhancing shampoo and conditioner.
- Once your roots show off, you can always give a touch up.
|Can you color hair during pregnancy? |
Duringpregnancy the baby in your womb is susceptible to birth defect andthere is great risk during this period. Hence it is advisable by manydoctors to avoid hair coloring. But, if you choose to go a differentway, it is advisable to use the vegetable dyes like henna. It isrecommended that you simply wait during the pregnancy period.